NEWSLETTER No. 18 - December 2008


The Canadian government have announced changes to their selection system for Federal Skilled Workers.

Following legislation passed earlier this year, the government have now issued new instructions to determine whose applications are “eligible for processing” under the new criteria.

In order to be eligible for processing you must either have;

1. An arranged offer of employment or
2. Lived in Canada for one year as a temporary foreign worker or student or
3. Have at least one years experience in an occupation on a new list.

The new list includes the following occupations;

Financial Managers
Computer and Information Systems Managers
Managers in Health Care
Restaurant and Food Service Managers
Accommodation Service Managers
Construction Managers
Financial Auditors and Accountants
Geologists, Geochemists and Geophysicists
Mining Engineers
Geological Engineers
Petroleum Engineers
Specialist Physicians
General Practitioners and Family Physicians
Audiologists and Speech Language Pathologists
Occupational Therapists
Head Nurses and Supervisors
Registered Nurses
Medical Radiation Technologists
Licensed Practical Nurses
University Professors
College and Other Vocational Instructors
Contractors and Supervisors, Pipefitting Trades
Contractors and Supervisors, Carpentry Trades
Contractors and Supervisors, Heavy Construction Equipment Crews
Electricians (Except Industrial and Power System)
Industrial Electricians
Steamfitters, Pipe fitters and Sprinkler System Installers
Welders and Related Machine Operators
Heavy-Duty Equipment Mechanics
Crane Operators
Drillers and Blasters – Surface Mining, Quarrying and Construction
Supervisors, Mining and Quarrying
Supervisors, Oil and Gas Drilling and Service
Supervisors, Petroleum, Gas and Chemical Processing and Utilities 

PLEASE NOTE – this new list does not apply to applications submitted before February 27th 2008, or to Provincial Nomination applications or to Quebec selected immigrants. 

This new list sees Canada following the example of other countries such as Australia in pinpointing more accurately the lists of occupations that are in urgent demand across the country.

If you have qualifications and experience in any of these occupations, then please contact us. Your skills are in strong demand in Canada and it is likely that we can assist you with securing permanent residence faster under these changes.
* Click for Canada info page with the latest migration news


The UK Home Office have started the process of issuing Identity Cards for foreign nationals applying for visas in the UK.

Initially, Identity Cards are being issued for applicants applying for visa extensions as students or spouses / partners. The aim is that within 3 years it will include all visa categories. 

The process involves applying for a visa extension in the normal way, and then awaiting further instructions to attend an appointment for fingerprinting and facial image scans. These features are then incorporated into the new card.

Once the card is issued it is mandatory that the card and your passport are presented to immigration upon returning to the UK. Without the card, entry to the UK will be refused.

We will keep you updated on future developments of the card as more and more visa categories will be included.

* Click for United Kingdom info page with the latest migration news

Previous Newsletters on migration issues:
Newsletter 1 - January 2007
  Newsletter 2 - March 2007
  Newsletter 3 - April 2007
  Newsletter 4 - May 2007
  Newsletter 5 - May 2007 - In Focus: Australia
  Newsletter 6 - June 2007
  Newsletter 7 - July 2007
  Newsletter 8 - August 2007
  Newsletter 9 - October 2007
  Newsletter 10 - November 2007
  Newsletter 11 - December 2007
  Newsletter 12 - February 2008
  Newsletter 13 - March 2008
  Newsletter 14 - June 2008

  Newsletter 15 - July 2008
  Newsletter 16 - September 2008
  Newsletter 17 - November 2008

Contact us

Commonwealth Immigration Consultants Ltd.

based in London and Cambridge

Tel. +44 (0) 1223 830 916


We have teamed up with our immigration associates in Canada and Saint Mary’s University in Nova Scotia to offer an exciting route to securing Canadian residency through study.

Saint Mary’s University (SMU) based in Halifax, Nova Scotia is one of Canada’s oldest and most prestigious universities, founded in 1802.

By studying at SMU for a minimum of 1 year, graduates are eligible to obtain a work permit, allowing them and their spouse to work in Canada. Once working in Canada, there are numerous avenues such as the Federal Skilled Worker Program, the Canadian Experience Class and Provincial Nomination Programs (PNP's) that can be taken to secure permanent residency.

SMU has a wide range of courses at both the graduate and postgraduate level covering Arts, Business, Languages, I.T., Science and Engineering. 

We can assist with all of the following;

1. Applying for admission to SMU through our status as authorized agents
2. Securing your student visa, your subsequent work permit and Canadian permanent residence for you and your family
3. Assistance with accommodation, meet and greet service, employment advice. 

This route provides a highly valued Canadian qualification at a recognised university and is a proven route to Canadian permanent residency.

It is also an excellent introduction to Canadian life in one of Canada’s most cosmopolitan cities. Your spouse or common law partner can also accompany you to Canada and they are permitted to work as an accompanying family member. Your children can also be included on your student visa.

If you are interested in studying at SMU and using this as a pathway to securing Canadian residence, then please contact us.
* Click for Canada info page with the latest migration news


For all our clients looking to transfer money overseas or indeed into the UK, we are pleased to recommend Worldwide Currencies.

It has never been more important to take advantage of professional foreign currency services, in these times of global economic slowdown. Worldwide Currencies have assisted many of our clients down through the years and they provide excellent exchange rates with all major currencies. Indeed many of our clients have made substantial savings compared to the uncompetitive rates offered by most High St banks.

For more information and free quotation, please contact Richard Bass at or telephone (+44) (0) 20 3326 4403.

We hope that this newsletter has been informative for you.  However, remember everyone's circumstances are different so if you or a friend or family member want to check your eligibility to emigrate then either

1) complete the Online Assessment form on our website or
2) give us a call on (+44)  (0) 20 8365 3380

We would love to hear from you!

Tim McMahon
Commonwealth Immigration

NEWSLETTER - Subscribe to keep updated!

We are sending a newsletter on a periodic basis to update you on new developments and changes in all matters relating to migration.

Please feel free to forward the newsletter on to your friends and family. Newsletter will be archived on our web site as well.

Subscribe to our newsletter at 

  Free appraisal service

  What country? What visa?

  Our services
  What our clients say?

  Online assesment

Commonwealth Immigration Consultants
UK Government Registered Immigration Consultants No. F200100020

Member of the Association of Regulated Immigration Advisers (ARIA)
Affiliate Member of the Australian Institute of Migration

Commonwealth Immigration Consultants Ltd. |