There have been several recent developments in UK immigration law as follows;

* An increase in the level of maintenance funds required for applicants and dependants in Points Based applications such as Tier 1 and Tier 2.

* The government deciding to close the Tier 1 General extension category in 2015 and close Indefinite Leave to Remain for Tier 1 General applicants in 2018.

* Tier 2 visas will be able to be issued for up to 5 years

* New visa application centres are being introduced outside the UK to facilitate those applying for UK visas. These new centres are being introduced in the following countries; Australia, South Africa, India, Bangladesh, Hong Kong, Italy, Egypt, Jordan, Canada and Fiji.

* The Court of Appeal has been hearing the MM case on the legality of the UK spouse minimum income rules. This important case will have a huge bearing on UK family migration applications. However, judgement is not expected for up to 3 months.

* Our free Online Assessment Form

Migration to United Kingdom – a range of different immigration UK visa options

(as published in our newsletters)

UK Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR)March 2012 – FOCUS ON
 – UK Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR)


We have many years experience in assisting migrants to obtain UK Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) visas, also known as settlement or permanent residence.

The normal qualifying period to obtain ILR is 5 years. However if one is married to a British citizen, then the qualifying period is 2 years. However, not every visa category is counted as “qualifying” for ILR. For instance, time spent in the UK on a Working Holiday visa or a student visa does not count.

The following visa categories DO count towards the 5 year qualifying period;

Tier 1 (General)

Tier 2 (General)

Work permit

Tier 1 (Investor)

Tier 1 (Entrepreneur)

Ancestral visa

Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP)

You can obtain your qualifying 5 years by living in the UK on one of these visas or a combination of these visas. However, applicants need to note that EEA visas and residence cards cannot be used in combination with any of the above categories to apply for ILR.

EEA visas and residence cards can lead to permanent residence in their own right under EEA law but not ILR through UK immigration.

Absences in the 5 Years

The main residence requirement is that the applicant has been living in the UK throughout the qualifying period.

All absences from the UK need to be declared in the application. The UK Border Agency will of course disregard short absences for annual leave every year or for business trips.

New guidance has been issued to UK Border Agency case officers in April 2011 on calculating the continuous period in the UK and permitted absences.

The guidance states that discretion can be used where absences are for up to 3 months for a single absence or total absences of up to 6 months. The UK Border Agency can look at longer absences where these were for;

“compelling grounds either of a compassionate nature of for reasons related to the applicant’s employment or business in the UK”.

As detailed in their guidance, the case officer will want to see that;

“the applicant has clearly continued to be based in the UK“

Proof of employment, self-employment throughout the 5 years

The applicant needs to provide evidence to show that they were employed or self-employed in the UK or otherwise resident here in accordance with the terms of their visa.

So, for instance, Ancestral visa holders need to show that they have been working or self-employed in the UK throughout the qualifying 5 years – i.e. that the visa holder complied with the terms of their visa throughout the 5 years.

This previously was a very flexible requirement. However it is now being viewed much more strictly by the UK Border Agency.

Applicants need to be diligent in compiling as much material as possible throughout the 5 years. Many applicants may need assistance in this situation especially where a previous employer is no longer trading or in providing the correct proof of self-employment.

Applicants married to British citizens do not usually need to show employment or self-employment throughout the qualifying period.

Criminal convictions

In 2011, the government issued much more stringent rules relating to any criminal convictions when applying for ILR.

In short, an applicant cannot have any “unspent convictions” when applying for ILR. Most convictions become “spent” after a set period of time passes. This has proved a major hindrance for many applicants who may only have been convicted of a minor offence.

Please contact us, in strictest confidence, if you wish to see if a criminal conviction is seen as “unspent” and when it can be “spent”.

Life in the UK Test

Unless exempt through age or disability, applicants need to sit the Life in the UK Test. This is available at centres throughout the UK and is designed to test applicants’ knowledge of UK society, history, politics and government.

The test is not seen as particularly onerous – however applicants should take some time to prepare and read the recommended text book on “Life in the UK”

If you are applying for ILR on the basis of an initial application through the old HSMP visa category, then please contact us so we can see if you need to sit the Life in the UK Test.

Spouses, Partners, Children

Previously, applicants could include their spouse, partners or children on their ILR application. Once declared on the application they would be granted ILR with the main applicant regardless of how long they had lived together.

The rights of dependents changed in 2011, when the government removed the automatic rights of spouses and partners to apply at the same time.

We now have to prove that spouses or partners have been living at the same address as the main applicant for a minimum of 2 years before they can apply for ILR.

2011 changes and future developments

The following are some of the main changes to apply for ILR announced in 2011, and future proposals

Applicants applying for ILR whose current visa is Tier 1 (General) are now points tested. This is a major change from the previous position where applicants just needed to show they were economically active through employment or self-employment. The new system requires the applicants to pass a points test based on age, qualifications and most importantly – recent earnings.

Applicants applying for ILR whose current visa is Tier 2 (General) need to provide specific documents to show that they are being paid at the correct rate of pay for their occupation’s code of practice.

Revised guidance has been published on absences from the UK throughout the qualifying period for ILR.
A recent consultation on family migration has proposed increasing the residence period for ILR for spouses and partners from 2 to 5 years.

Retaining ILR

Once granted, ILR allows the holder to remain indefinitely or permanently in the UK. After living in the UK for another 1 year, the applicant may be eligible to obtain UK citizenship.

The main requirement to retain ILR is to continue living in the UK.

Any absences of more than 2 years at any one time outside of the UK, can result in one’s ILR being revoked.

Our ILR service

We have many years experience in securing ILR for our clients. The process can be complicated and is not granted easily by the UK government – it does, after all, allow permanent residence and is a very important step on the route to British citizenship.

We can handle the whole application from start to finish. The service includes everything from pre-application advice, document review, completing forms, covering letter, drafting your personal statement, submission to the authorities and bringing to a successful conclusion. This continues throughout the whole process until your visa is approved.

You will only deal with one dedicated immigration adviser to provide you with a focused one to one service.

Our success rate is second to none and we can provide numerous verifiable references from satisfied clients for you to review and inspect.

At this stage, we just need you to complete this quick registration form on our website;

* Online Assessment Form

This should give us all the information we need to give you the correct advice.

We can then review in full and get back to you.


July 2010 – The UK government have announced that they are pressing ahead with plans to implement a cap or quota on all non-EU economic migrants. This was predicted in our previous newsletter.

This is likely to affect all applications for Tier 1 and Tier 2 visas.

A permanent cap is set to be introduced from April 2011. In the meantime, a temporary cap is to be imposed which will see overall numbers between now and April 2011, reduced by 5 %.

The criteria for Tier 1 visas (Highly Skilled workers) has been tightened from July 19th by increasing the points threshold by 5 points.

We therefore advise all applicants and employers to look at applying for such visas, as soon as possible. The announcement of a cap is unprecedented in UK immigration and is likely to lead to an increase in applications.

This may then lead to visas being unavailable until the new visa year commences in April 2011. The new criteria effective from April 2011 may well see further restrictions to ensure an immigration cap is effective.

A review by the Migration Advisory Committee has been launched into the permanent cap. There are a broad range of proposals on how the government should implement a cap and also what the final quota numbers should be.

If you wish to go ahead with a Tier 1 or Tier 2 application, then please contact us so that we can assess your eligibility


June 2010 – The new UK government took office last month with Damian Green appointed as Minister for Immigration.

The coalition government between the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats has reached compromise on many issues. However the government has still retained the Conservative idea of a “cap” or quota on numbers, as their main immigration policy.

The following is an extract from the agreed Programme for Government on the subject of immigration;

“The Government believes that immigration has enriched our culture and strengthened our economy, but that it must be controlled so that people have confidence in the system. We also recognise that to ensure cohesion and protect our public services, we need to introduce a cap on immigration and reduce the number of non EU immigrants.”

No timeframe has been indicated for this and it is important to stress that it does not affect EU migrants or migrants in other categories such as spouses, students etc..

However, this may logically result in an annual quota of visas to be granted, in categories such as Tier 1 and Tier 2. Applicants intending to apply in these categories may be advised to start the process sooner rather than later, in case a future quota would work to their detriment.

In any event, new figures show that net migration to the UK is set to drop below 100,000 a year. This of course is a key target of the new government – the aim of reducing the level to “tens of thousands, rather than hundreds of thousands”.

New official immigration figures show that more eastern European migrants (from the 2004 Accession countries such as Poland) are leaving than arriving.

The annual citizenship figures for 2009 also published show more than 203,000 people were granted UK citizenship last year.

The overall statistics show a continued decline in net migration to the UK – the number of people coming to work and study minus the number of people leaving to live abroad – to 142,000 in the year to September 2009. This compares with a net migration figure of 160,000 in the previous year to September 2009.

UK Immigration and ResidencyUNITED KINGDOM – TIER 1 VISA CHANGES 

March 2010 – The UK Border Agency has announced an important change in UK immigration that will affect many overseas migrants looking to work in the UK through the Tier 1 visa.

Effective April 2010, the minimum educational requirement for the Tier 1 visa has now been amended from a Masters degree to a Bachelors degree.

The points system has also been amended to change the qualifying criteria for previous earnings.

The Tier 1 visa allows overseas professionals to enter the UK to work or establish themselves as self-employed. Most importantly – this visa does not require a sponsoring employer. It is assessed on a points system with points awarded for age, education, previous earnings etc…

This previous Masters degree requirement affected many overseas migrants who scored well on other assessment criteria but were ineligible for not having a Masters degree. This is a very significant change and will now allow many more overseas migrants to qualify to work in the UK without a sponsoring employer.


Mi imamo dugogodišnje iskustvo u podnošenju aplikacija za vizu za UK (Ujedinjeno Kraljevstvo) i procesu dobijanja dozvola u ime državljana koji dolaze iz članica Europskog gospodarskog prostora (EEA) i njihovih obitelji (posebno članovi obitelji koji ne dolaze iz zemalja članica EEA).

Od 1. srpnja 2013. godine, Republika Hrvatska je dio EEA.

Mi možemo podnijeti aplikaciju kako u Velikoj Britaniji tako i u britanskim veleposlanstvima u cijelom svijetu.

To uključuje aplikacije za EEA obiteljske dozvole (EEA Family Permits), EEA boravišne kartice (EEA Residence Cards), EEA stalno prebivalište (EEA permanent residence) i EEA registracijske certifikate (EEA registration certificates).

Imamo posebnu iskustvo sa mnogim složenim situacijama u gore navedenim aplikacijama.

To uključuje slijedeće;
– Dokazati da je osoba iz EEA doista ‘kvalificirana osoba’ – u potrazi za poslom, radnik, samozaposlena osoba, samodostatna osoba ili student.
– Uključivanje nevjenčanih partnera ili istospolnih partnera na EEA obiteljsku vizu.
– Promjena EEA obiteljskog statusa, dok je osoba u Velikoj Britaniji na drugoj vrsti vize.
– Dokazivanje postojanja dovoljno sredstava za podršku preseljenju.
– Aplikacije za dokazivanje da pravi brak postoji.
– Zahtjev za povrat putovnice za putovanja.
– Dobivanje stalnog prebivališta a potom i britanskog državljanstvo za EEA državljane i članove njihovih obitelji.

Važno je da zapamtite da britanska vlada može biti vrlo stroga u razmatranju EEA aplikacije, obzirom da spada u pravila Europske unije, a ne proizlazi iz zakona Velike Britanije. Mnogi podnositelji zahtjeva su odbijeni zbog loše kvalitete dokumenata ili nepotpunih prijava. Mnoge aplikacije su odbijene jer nisu dokazale da su brak ili odnos vjerodostojan.

Europski gospodarski prostor (EEA) sastoji se od Europske unije (EU) i tri druge zemlje. Slijedeće zemlje su članice EEA: Hrvatska, Austrija, Belgija, Bugarska, Cipar, Republika Češka, Danska, Estonija, Finska, Francuska, Njemačka, Grčka, Mađarska, Island, Republika Irska, Italija, Latvija, Lihtenštajn, Litva, Luksemburg, Malta, Nizozemska, Norveška, Poljska, Portugal, Rumunjska, Slovačka, Slovenija, Španjolska, Švedska, Velika Britanija.

Iako Švicarska nije članica Europskog gospodarskog prostora, švicarski građani i njihove obitelji su uključeni na osnovu zasebnog ugovora potpisanog s EEA.

Dakle, tko je član obitelji? Ova definicija je drugačija po zakonu EU, nego po uobičajenoj UK imigraciji. Član obitelji uključuje: supružnike, građanske partnere, neoženjene partnere, djecu mlađu od 21. godinu, te djecu koju roditelji još uzdržavaju a stariju od 21. godine.

To također može uključivati i druge izravne rođake za koje se može pokazati da su ovisni o podršci kao što su roditelji, djedovi i bake.

Međutim, pravila se razlikuju za različite članove obitelji. Supružnici (oženjeni ili civilni partneri) su tretirani drugačije od nevjenčanih partnera ili istospolnih nevjenčanih partnera. Stoga, bitno je planirati takve aplikacije u skladu s tim.

EEA obiteljske dozvole – namijenjene su za članove obitelji koji nisu iz EEA a koji žele da se presele u Velikoj Britaniji s EEA državljaninom. To uključuje supružnike, partnere, istospolne partnere, djecu i druge uzdržavane osobe. Za ovu dozvolu se mora aplicirati izvan Velike Britanije – obično u najbližoj UK ambasadi.

EEA 1 registracijski certifikati – odnosi se na aplikaciju osobe koja potiče iz EEA čime želi dokazati svoj status u Velikoj Britaniji. Iako nije obavezno, ovo može biti od koristi ukoliko osoba želi da u Veliku Britaniju dovede članove obitelji koji nisu iz EEA.

EEA 2 rezidentne kartice – nakon što je član obitelji već stigao u Velikoj Britaniji, ovo je proces koji im dopušta da apliciraju za boravak. Ovaj proces uključuje dokazivanje obiteljskih odnosa i zapošljavanja / samozapošljavanja državljanina iz EEA. Ova kategorija ima relativno visoku stopu odbijanja – osobito za podnositelje zahtjeva koji su stigli na EEA obiteljsku vizu. Bitno je imati na umu da je ovo svježa aplikacija te da su potrebni novi ažurirani dokazi. To nije isto kao jednostavno produljenje EEA obiteljske vize.

EEA 3 i EEA 4 stalna prebivališta
EU zakon daje pravo državljanima iz EEA i članovima njihovih obitelji da ostvare stalno prebivalište nakon pet godina.

To nije isto kao UK dozvola za ostanak na neodređeno – umjesto toga aplikacija po zakonu EU za stalni boravak se ocjenjuje prema različitim kriterijima.

Bitno je za aplikante da budu u stanju pokazati da je osoba živjela tu i radila (ili ostvaruje drugo pravo Sporazuma) posljednjih pet godina. Ove aplikacije mogu biti složene i zahtijevaju opsežne pripreme.

Pozivamo Vas da pogledate naš besplatni vodič o EEA aplikacijama (na engleskom jeziku) ili da nas kontaktirate emailom za više informacija. Komunikacija i proces aplikacije se odvija isključivo na engleskom jeziku.

Pored toga, u prilici smo da posredujemo i prilikom podnošenja aplikacije iz Hrvatske za useljenje u Australiju, Kanadu, Novi Zeland i SAD.

Ukoliko imate pitanja u vezi iseljenja i procesa apliciranja iz Hrvatske možete nas kontaktirati telefonom ili emailom.

Commonwealth Immigration Consultants Ltd.
based in London and Cambridge
Tel. +44 (0) 1223 830 916
Email: info@commonwealthimmigration.com


Iseljenje u Veliku Britaniju, imigrantske vize, EEA1, EEA2, kako imigrirati…

Za pitanja useljenja u Veliku Britaniju, imigrantske vize i dozvola, te o procesu kako imigrirati možete se informisati preko naše web stranice www.commonwealthimmigration.com

Useljavanje u Veliku Britaniju iz Hrvatske – više informacija o mogućnostima na http://www.commonwealthimmigration.com/UK-EEA2-viza-EEA1-dozvola-imigracija.html

By on .